Only Extraordinary Artists Have This Trait

If there is one thing that separates a great artist from a sea of ordinary ones it’s this… vulnerability.

Vulnerability = that sacred ability to let the rough journey of your life take a walk across your face.

Hardship makes an artist; but only if you refuse to hide from it.

Too many talented musicians, actors and writers wear a mask, a thin veneer that hides their pain and prevents the world from seeing the journey of their soul.

You have to peel it off.

Your vulnerability is the thing that makes you fearfully compelling, it’s the thing that connects you to those who are watching.

You cannot be afraid of who you actually are, anymore.

Great Artists

2013 Copyright – Seven Sentences – Great Artists

10 Responses to “Only Extraordinary Artists Have This Trait”

1. kathleenmaher May 3, 2013 at 11:01 am #

I agree. Recently, I noticed that only those who are open about being vulnerable–it can be a swagger with a nod and wink, “Of course, you can reject me.”–hold any attraction for me.

2. ginavalley May 8, 2013 at 10:58 pm #

Very well said.
    Real people are vulnerable, and real is engaging.

3. DeBorah Ann Palmer May 17, 2013 at 7:08 pm #

Many of my readers have said they’ve been deeply affected by my writing. What I write is raw, uncut, brutal and gritty. I think writing is God’s gift to me as it provides solace, catharsis and cheap therapy.

4. DeBorah Ann Palmer May 17, 2013 at 7:23 pm #

Writers and artists are God’s suffering servants. Inner struggles. Outer creative genius.

5. Scott May 23, 2013 at 8:09 am #

One thing that separates great artists from ordinary ones: vulnerability.

The sacred ability to let the rough journey of your life take a walk across your face.

Hardship makes an artist, but only if you refuse to hide from it.

Otherwise talented musicians, actors and writers wear a mask that hides their pain and prevents the world from seeing the real journey of their soul.

Peel it off.

Your vulnerability makes you fearfully compelling and connects you to your audience.

Succeed by dripping the fear of showing who you actually are.

• Scott May 23, 2013 at 8:10 am #

Succeed by dropping the fear of showing who you actually are.

6. Guest June 4, 2013 at 6:50 pm #

Vulnerability – A feeling that links us all if only we are courageous enough to expose it. Sharing moments of vulnerability I feel is the real magic of writing – that a stranger can be touched by the right words at the right time to uplift them, knowing that somebody or anybody feels the same. Thank you, as that stranger was me x