Why Real Artists Are Always Activists

Artists and social activism have a long history.

Wherever there are social or cultural causes, you will find visual artists, musicians, writers, photographers and orators.

What is it that draws the artist to activism?

Perhaps it is the opportunity to express unadulterated belief or to unmask and humanize what has been shrouded; to stand with those who have been forsaken.

Whatever the reason, if you’re an artist, now is not a season to shrink back from standing against the dark things of this world that steal life and freedom from others.

Perhaps your voice against injustice has been muffled due to being overwhelmed with your own economic obligations BUT there is always good in giving yourself to those who can not speak or act for themselves.

Wake up, the world needs you in it, fighting for those who can not lift their eyes to see the light of day.

artists are activists

2012 Copyright Seven Sentences – artists are activists

9 Responses to “Why Real Artists Are Always Activists”

1. Great Jollyhoombah February 1, 2013 at 6:34 am #

I think artists and activists have in common that they are thinking people, intellectuals. Perhaps that is something that attracts them to each other?

2. Pauline Hawkins February 2, 2013 at 7:32 am #

We see the world as it is but also as it could be :)

3. Melka Oakley February 3, 2013 at 3:30 am #

I agree with what you have said in this blog. I have a question about artists being activists. Are they engaging in activism for activism sake or are they actually getting involved and making a difference?

4. Antonio Richardson March 12, 2013 at 5:13 am #

When we see a true artist visually, or hear an artist through music, I believe that they have a social responsibility to act on behalf of those that couldn’t otherwise act them selves. There is power in their performances that we believe in. One day I will be in their shoes as I’m trying to become a film director, writer and producer and I can’t wait to have the power to help the cause of activism.

5. Surreal Reality April 27, 2013 at 6:24 pm #

I personally believe in using our natural creative abilities to shed light to important issues and to get the attention of people in order to educate and bring about change. Its great when creatives use their talents to entertain…but its even better when you can entertain, inspire, move people to change, and make a difference.

• Geoff Talbot April 30, 2013 at 12:52 pm #

Yeah it is for me about being truthful and not hiding from this life as we know it. It can still be entertaining and truthful… right?