Why My Wife Won’t Let Me Lose My Accent

I once knew an actor who went to New York from New Zealand and within 5 seconds had picked up the worst New York accent that money could buy.

He didn’t just use it on the stage… he spoke with it all the time.

I once asked my wife before we got married if she would still love me if I didn’t have this accent; she replied that she would not.

Why would you love someone for not being themselves?

Appeasement is a dangerous road to travel on the internet or in Hollywood.

If you lose your voice, you lose yourself and you might as well just go hop in the big old box in the ground and pull the lid over the top of yourself.

Your tone may change, but your accent, what you believe, how you look at life, that is your unique gift and you should never ever give it away.

finding your voice

2012 Copyright Seven Sentences – Finding Your Voice Blog

7 Responses to “Why My Wife Won’t Let Me Lose My Accent”

1. KarenJewel January 6, 2013 at 5:58 am #

I agree with your wife 100%. I can’t hear my accent, of course. But, I fear losing my Southern accent living here in Minnesota. I am so very grateful when someone asks me where I’m from, because then I know that part of me is still intact. I was a theater major. I was asked to lose my accent. I tried. It stuck. I’m glad.

• Geoff Talbot January 7, 2013 at 11:35 am #

Yes keep knowing where you are from and be unafraid to share it!

2. Great Jollyhoombah January 6, 2013 at 9:08 am #

All of the YES in the universe to that! Embrace what you are and work within those constraints. This is how creativity is born.

3. Helene Poulakou January 7, 2013 at 12:52 am #

I used to feel somewhat awkward about my marked Greek accent, until I saw that it can actually work as a branding feature. Yeah, I’m the Greek gal who teaches her language and writes stories inspired from Greek myths! Perfect!

• KarenJewel January 7, 2013 at 8:31 am #

Accents are beautiful things! And, I have to admit there are some in particular I find especially beautiful. Greek accents being one. :)

• Geoff Talbot January 7, 2013 at 11:35 am #

Yes this is wonderful Helene… Keep being Greek it is a wonderful thing!