How To Start Writing When You Have Nothing

I’m sitting on the couch with my laptop in front of me AND I have no idea what to write.

Does that ever happen to you?

What do you do when you have nothing?

To be an authentic artist you have to start with whatever you’ve got… even if that’s nothing.

Especially when there is nothing, when you are empty and vulnerable, that is when you are most ready to be filled. Inspiration comes when we are devoid of hope, when we need it most.

It is a fearful, vulnerable place to be BUT it’s only when you have nothing left, that you are ready to begin.

How To Start Writing

How To Start Writing

2012 Copyright Seven Sentences – How To Start Writing

7 Responses to “How To Start Writing When You Have Nothing”

1. Matches Malone December 4, 2012 at 3:16 am #

Creativity has been given to us by The Creator, therefore, it follows that it should always be possible to put something on the blank page. Well, in this case, screen.

• Geoff Talbot December 10, 2012 at 8:24 am #

Yes always possible that we will come up with something good… if we are patient and humble

2. Phil Rood December 4, 2012 at 2:05 pm #

Here’s what I’ve been known to do: Start writing. Write about anything. Describe something in the room and let your mind wander from there. It’s free association and it can lead your voice out of you. I do this for drawing sometimes too, where I’ll just start sketching and see where it takes me. I’m hardly accomplished, so take this advice for what it’s worth, I just know what gets me out of the rut sometimes…

• Geoff Talbot December 10, 2012 at 8:25 am #

Very cool Phil… free assn is a very useful artist tool

• Kim Bruce December 30, 2012 at 2:27 pm #

For visual artists as well; just start

3. Dawn Casey-Rowe February 17, 2013 at 2:57 am #

I always feel like I have something. But that the details get in the way…the challenge, sifting and sculpting through the details and getting to the essence of the story. Love this entire blog:)

• Geoff Talbot February 19, 2013 at 10:00 pm #

yes there is a part of it that is one big giant wrestle!