7 Secrets To Kick Ass Twitter Profile

In response to yesterday’s hugely popular blog “Seven Mistakes People Are Making With Their Twitter Profiles”, here  are seven twitter profile tips to help you stand out from the crowd in this very noisy medium.

1. If your twitter profile is for a business or a brand; use the photograph of the person who operates the account and put your logo in the corner of the image, it’s just good customer service to put a face to your business.

3. If the above applies in the profile text say something like “John Wayne(employee’s name) deliciously tweeting on behalf of Cadbury’s Chocolate.”

5. Furthermore, let your employee use their own personality within a set of  agreed upon guidelines; people want to connect with people, besides this way makes it more fun for your social media people.

7. You should be able to read the text in any twitter profile at a single glance, 7-10 words only, with no #hash-tags or any other $balderdash.

9. Choose a photo which represents the tone of your brand, the feeling you want to convey; but always use a photo of an actual person.
      10.

11. Create a sense of mystery or tell a story with the combination of your photo, your twitter handle/name and your profile statement; this invites people to click on your website to find out more.
      12.

13. Change it up regularly, with different photographs and profile pictures; don’t let it get boring especially if your twitter numbers are remaining static or dwindling.

2013 Copyright Seven Sentences  - Seven Twitter Profile Tips

11 Responses to “7 Secrets To Kick Ass Twitter Profile”

1. Jade Cruz Quinn February 26, 2013 at 12:18 am #

These guidelines don’t appeal to me when I am considering whether or not to follow a company. In fact, I prefer a logo, as well as reading “we,” as opposed to “I.” It represents a collective, rather than a person. As far as I’m concerned, when someone is representing a company, representation of the self ceases.

• Geoff Talbot February 27, 2013 at 10:20 pm #

Thanks for your opinion Jade… there is definitely merit in what you say. Be interesting to see what others think. How engaged are you with the companies that you follow on Twitter?

2. Cat McMahon March 6, 2013 at 6:06 pm #

I love the photo change up tip in secret 7. I’ve been considering the idea for some time–tying my background image to each significant work I’m featuring as it is published. I plan on applying this principle across all my social media to keep things fresh and interesting. Anything we author/bloggers can do to keep folks coming back is good. Thanks for the positive reinforcement, Geoff.

• Geoff Talbot March 10, 2013 at 8:50 pm #

Thanks Cat… I think of tying in all the elements to tell a story. Interestingly I am good at doing this for my clients and bad at doing it for myself. G

3. JaneMiami April 12, 2013 at 10:47 pm #

Kick-ass should, indeed, have a hyphen, Geoff.

4. Wendy Key April 14, 2013 at 11:00 pm #

Great tips!

5. Laurie Buchanan, PhD April 22, 2013 at 6:55 pm #

Great tips – thank you!

6. Lightkeepers Journal May 1, 2013 at 9:55 pm #

The main reason that I have a #hashtag in my Twitter profile is because Twitter does not allow you to separate sentences on different lines. They want to crunch everything together. I tried various combinations of wording (based on the 160 word limit), and adding a #hashtag was the only way to create separation and a clean appearance.

1. 7 Mistakes People Make With Their Twitter Profiles | Seven Sentences - November 30, 2012

[...] people and organizations commonly making with their twitter profiles. Read tommorow’s blog “Seven Twitter Profile Tips.” for the [...]