The Importance of Knowing

KNOWING and being KNOWN, is there a more important concept in our creative lives?

Boredom sets in, when we cease to desire “knowledge.” This can happen in our work, faiths, friendships, marriages and families. Why do we settle for a certain level of knowing, when there is always so much more to know. Stale bread is not good for the soul.

I like to think of life as a “deep never-ending well” of love and joy that I have fallen headlong into; plunging the depths, falling deeper into a never-ending eternal abyss of unceasing life.

There is so more to know and so much more to discover. Why do we stop knowing?

8 Responses to “The Importance of Knowing”

1. Anonymous June 28, 2011 at 1:58 pm #

Because we get lazy or perhaps allow life to weigh us down?  I’m not quite sure why we stop searching for knowledge at times, but it happens.  And those periods breed boredom and dissatisfaction and bitterness.  Like in U2′s “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For,” I think we need to proceed through life with that concept in mind.  There’s always more to discover, to know.

• Geoff Talbot June 28, 2011 at 5:19 pm #

Fear sometimes stops me from getting to know my characters and others really well

2. Anonymous June 28, 2011 at 4:34 pm #

I think we never stop knowing, we just stop being aware of that. When we open our eyes, ears & minds, we realize that   the never-ending process of knowledge is in our nature.

• Geoff Talbot June 29, 2011 at 2:36 am #

Great comment Addy, I’m not sure though… I think what you right maybe true for many people. But you have to choose to open your eyes, to see, to listen, to know and be known… otherwise I’m not sure that it will happen… G

3. Lynne Holder June 28, 2011 at 5:03 pm #

The poor soul that has shut out the light that is knowledge. How can it survive?

Being known–now that’s a struggle for most of us, and precisely why it needs to be faced head on. I put it off as long as I could, but I just finished a piece I hope to see published as a guest blog that forced me to face that fear of being known; failures and imperfections not withheld. I felt like I was sweating bullets and I have a monstrous headache, but I am so relieved.

• Geoff Talbot June 29, 2011 at 2:36 am #

Good luck with your Guest Blog Lynne… I am sure it will be good.

4. WritersWritingWords (Eleni) January 30, 2012 at 1:01 pm #

I think each time we learn something, we create a mental structure on which we base our actions. If this structure is maintained for a long time, or if it is convenient (can you come up with another reason?), then we might find it hard and painful to take it down and rebuild it. First, because that would require toil; then, because we’d have to accept that some (or many) of our previous ideas, attitudes, actions, etc, were wrong – and, subsequently, that we spent a good part of our lives… acting wrong. Ouch!