Triple Your Imagination In Only One Step

Would you like to be more creative, would you like to know how to improve your imagination?

You are less limited than you imagine; your creativity is as broad as the universes in our sky, extending into a never-ending infinity. Just because it doesn’t always feel that way, doesn’t mean that it’s not so.

You were created infinity creative, a reflection of all that is around you.

Do you agree?

One simple way of increasing your creativity is to use the law of opposites . When you come up with an idea of what to write, of how to play a character, or of what to paint on that canvas… STOP…

…ask yourself what is the opposite of that idea; now create something about that.

HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR IMAGINATION

2011 Copyright Seven Sentences – Improve your Imagination

64 Responses to “Triple Your Imagination In Only One Step”

1. keyboard June 9, 2011 at 3:36 pm #

So, do you think the law of opposites will help tame an overactive imagination? ;)

• GeoffTalbot March 3, 2013 at 7:17 pm #

Possibly… try it and see. At least you will be in control right?

2. Melanie June 9, 2011 at 3:37 pm #

So do you think the law of opposites will help tame an overactive imagination? ;)

• Geoff Talbot June 9, 2011 at 3:59 pm #

I see the creative process as a two stage process. First start with horizontal (imaginative) thinking, creativity. Get all you ideas out, make them wild big, crazy whatever.

Then go back with vertical thinking (logical thinking) and sift through your ideas etc… picking our what is genius and what is too much. For many of us, having another person doing the vertical is useful.

• Shannon June 9, 2011 at 6:02 pm #

Ah yes, having another person doing the vertical. LOVE that. Finding someone with a creative eye to help do the sifting I think is really helpful too. In my case, some of the problem is finding the outlet to be creative, mostly because it really needs to be a place that gets exposure, review, or feedback. Otherwise the creativity dries up like a plant that looks great when you first get it but it never gets watered so it eventually just dries up and dies. For me feedback inspires and creates and builds motivation. Love talking about this!

3. Jeff Goins June 9, 2011 at 4:16 pm #

Nice post, Geoff. I think everyone is creative in their own way.

4. Maria Keckler June 9, 2011 at 4:29 pm #

Great idea!  I think I’ll quote you on our next prompt!

5. Joel Hickenbottom June 9, 2011 at 4:35 pm #

For those of Christian background, we are created in the image of a creative God so we are thereby creative as our default. But even if you don’t hold to such a faith, we are all creative—how we make our coffee

• Geoff Talbot June 9, 2011 at 5:35 pm #

I agree… even imagining that you will never do a creative thing in your life — is imaginative and creative

6. Anonymous June 9, 2011 at 4:38 pm #

I think that our imagination, like our will, is infinite.  But we are taught from a young age (by the educational system) to filter our imagination.  It takes practice to get back to a place where we allow ourselves to truly let our imaginations run wild…without the constraint of reality and reason.  That is the place you have to be disciplined about getting to repeatedly if you want to increase your creativity.

7. Joel Hickenbottom June 9, 2011 at 4:41 pm #

For those of Christian background, we are created in the image of a creative God so we are thereby creative as our default. But even if you don’t hold to such a faith, every one of us are creatives—all the way down to how we make our coffee or tea, how we prepare a sandwich, how we chose to clothe our bodies and the music that graces our ears. It’s almost insane to not think of oneself as being creative when every act of our own free will and choice means that we touch infinite creative possibilities in every moment of our lives.

8. Joel Hickenbottom June 9, 2011 at 4:42 pm #

Not sure what happened here, Geoff, but you can delete this! Haha.

9. Shannon June 9, 2011 at 4:57 pm #

Interesting thought and idea for inducing some new creative thoughts. I find creativity everywhere. Ideas come easy, content and full descript and complete thought or explanation around those ideas comes a little more difficult. For me creativity often times comes from an emotion that I find difficult to describe without a lot of detail, context or explanation. Then I often lose interested readers or conversations because it takes too long to get into the depth “I” want to get into on a thought, subject, or idea…

I do agree creativity is endless. It’s figuring out how to start, when to end, or filling in the middle that I think stumbles many artists and often somewhat strangles some life out of creative people and creativity as a whole, combined with HUGE self critics whispering many self defeating thoughts and ideas. Just my 2 cents. : )

• Geoff Talbot June 9, 2011 at 5:38 pm #

really good comments Shannon… See my comment below about horizontal and vertical thinking. Do the horizontal more emotion of the process first… then turn on the “readers/viewer” eye and use the vertical more logical part of your mind to imagine it through someone else’s eyes

10. Socrates2 June 9, 2011 at 5:42 pm #

The hardest thing for most adults is to suspend disbelief. If we can’t prove something, then it can’t be true. The trick is to ask yourself, “What if it were true? What would that look like?” Spend some time with children. They haven’t forgotten how to use their imagination. We, as adults, are just rusty.

• Geoff Talbot June 9, 2011 at 5:43 pm #

Yes we need to become more childlike. Which is different from being childish

11. Lauren Autumn June 9, 2011 at 5:44 pm #

Brilliant Geoff! I don’t think I would have ever thought of that. I am definitely going to use that one now!! As always, thank you so very much for sharing your great ideas and thoughts!

• Geoff Talbot July 17, 2012 at 10:40 pm #

Hey friend… how are you? it’s been a long time. I just found your comment here and thought that I would say hello!

12. Mireille June 9, 2011 at 5:57 pm #

Whenever I have a creative impulse, I try not to let anything stop the process. Admittedly it is not always easy. However, once ideas/visions start to flow like a river. Ideas I never could force myself to think of occur naturally.

• Geoff Talbot June 9, 2011 at 6:06 pm #

I love that… really fighting and protecting the impulse is important and vital for your process. What do you do when life interrupts it though… a friend calls who needs help etc?

• Mireille M June 10, 2011 at 2:24 am #

If that happens then I help the friend. Life always ‘gets in the way’ of the creative process. The most important thing to do is no become upset about interruptions. Seeing it as a chance to step away and refresh one-self is a good idea. If there was an aspect you were having trouble with stepping away can give you another perspective.

13. Lizzie June 9, 2011 at 6:04 pm #

Wow, great advice!  I cannot wait to use this technique as I’m writing.  And I agree, our world is full of creative beings…that’s an exciting thought.

14. ThatGuyKC June 9, 2011 at 6:06 pm #

Great stuff, Geoff. The creative process and the potential of people to be creative always fascinates and inspires me.

15. Ken of Zen June 9, 2011 at 7:29 pm #

Imagination is unlimited…unless of course you imagine your not:) Same with creativity. Your “opposite” technique provides creators of every sort with a simple means to extend the canvas of their creativity. The natural enemies of creativity melt away when one is willing…to imagine, to explore and to play our “part” infused with enthusiasm.

• Geoff Talbot June 9, 2011 at 7:58 pm #

This is true Ken… Once I heard an incredible “acting director” talk about the power of re-imaging. The “but what if? question is always a good one.

• Ken of Zen June 10, 2011 at 5:04 pm #

The process of asking “what if?” can expand the list of the possible or act as a means to say “no” to our creativity. It really depends on the mindset from which the question is posed. The key is willingness: willingness to allow reality to be altered by one’s own imagination. Ultimately, we need quests and questions which expand the circle of the possible. What if we had such questions? The infinite universe of endless possibilities awaits.

16. Gary Loper June 9, 2011 at 7:41 pm #

Will give your idea a chance.  Mostly, I have found that when I’m least resistant to the world around me, I’m able to stay connected to my inner guide and amazing things begin to flow thru me.

• Geoff Talbot June 9, 2011 at 7:58 pm #

I like the idea of not being resistant to the ideas around us… for me that equates to not being afraid

17. AscensionForYou June 9, 2011 at 8:44 pm #

Hi Geoff and fellow 7 sentences heart and souls!   Very interesting post Geoff… and for me it opens up a huge whirlpool  of thoughts….Suddenly i am thinking….positive and negative, dark vs light, love and hate….even perhaps someones inner or outer reflection of anger in a debate?   In essence, by delving deeper in to our own heart  or psyche  you are not just scratching the surface but digging further into truth, your own truth that appears hidden, buried under fears of confusion, illusion , false desire  or despair.  This creative opposite is not purposelessly  hiding in the shadows, for it begs of you to search for the truth, the  essence and core of your own  reality,! How many times do we take things at face value without really aspiring to dive headlong into the unknown?  The picture on the canvass, the words of a poem, the screen play or film can therefore only be transformed   to greater heights of passion, integrity and meaning…. true expressions of your own innate divinity that  begs to be displayed and witnessed by the many!

Crikey…where did  that come from!   God Bless all….catch up soon bud. Dave

• Geoff Talbot June 9, 2011 at 8:46 pm #

You just let it flow Dave… Awesome! That would be a great seven sentence Guest Blog!

• AscensionForYou June 10, 2011 at 7:14 pm #

Hi ya Geoff….flattery will get you everywhere!  Don’t forget my friend…..your the one who causes everyone else to light the touchpaper!   Great to link in with you all  again…. Ps  No probs …we could add it any time there’s a slot free?   Take care bud… or should i say Geoff the ‘inspiration’ Talbolt! ?  He he   Cheers Dave :))

• Geoff Talbot June 11, 2011 at 12:01 am #

Never been called Talbolt before thanks friend!

• Ascensionforyou June 13, 2011 at 7:08 pm #

Ha ha…sorry Geoff…maybe Mr Talbolt is your alter ego and is the true creative inspiration he he he…u cracked me up…take care buddy!

18. Lori Buff June 9, 2011 at 10:50 pm #

Interesting idea.  I’m a potter so my first thought is the opposite of functional pottery is sculptural pots but I can also use this idea in decorating my pieces.

19. Kate Briles June 10, 2011 at 1:55 am #

This is fantastic.  It’s actually a method my Dad raised me in . . . to always look at the contrary side of the evidence.  This helped me make great strides in the sciences (natural and social) as well as in my career. To take it now into the realm of writing is brilliant.  It’s funny, eh?  Your suggestion I’ve always equated with the scientific process, and never with the non-scientific.  I’ve created with it, but never thought of using it to release creativity!  Thank you!

• Geoff Talbot June 10, 2011 at 2:32 pm #

Hey Kate… only recently have we decided to divide up our brains and call one side creative and the other logical?

• Kate Briles June 10, 2011 at 8:12 pm #

It’s too bad, really.  Because the supposed “logical” portions are highly creative, just of a different sort.  Likewise, the supposed “creative” portions are highly logical, but different than what we’ve determined logic to be.  I don’t think it’s bad that we label things and parts of things . . . until those labels and categories become more important than what we’ve labeled and categorized.  I’m startin’ to feel all philosophical now . . . :)

• Geoff Talbot June 10, 2011 at 9:31 pm #

Great call Kate… Be philosophical that’s what we here for. It’s awesome. G

20. Rashad Morris June 10, 2011 at 3:28 am #

I like this idea….it gets the juices flowing. I had a writing class not too long ago and we had to create an argument and consider what the opposition would say. It helped to generate ideas from both sides. Being creative I think is allowing yourself to be childlike…no limits, no boundaries, no responsibilities….ahhh dreaming!!!

21. Lynne Holder June 10, 2011 at 3:03 pm #

If you ever doubt your creativity, just think about how you dream. Dreams are made of wildly creative stuff.

22. Andrea Meyer June 10, 2011 at 3:35 pm #

I really like this concept.  I’m also struck by the way your seven sentences elicited 33 comments (so far) and so reading through those takes more time than the original post.  Well worth the time because there are some good ideas in there, too! I’ve been blocked and this sort of concept is an easy one to try. Thanks for initiating the discussion.

• Geoff Talbot June 10, 2011 at 9:49 pm #

very cool Andrea… sometimes I will say find Seven ideas, or find seven wrong ideas. partly cause I’m in love with the number seven but also because I don’t want to stop at the first answer/idea

23. EvaUlian June 10, 2011 at 4:38 pm #

Hello Geoff and friends, I guess there is a difference between fantasy and imagination.  Fantasy is something we create practically from nothing and that is something I am not cut out to do.  What I know I can do is turn fact into fiction, through the imagination, a method I call “Reality Fiction.”  Putting the flesh on the bones, as I describe this process of creating, is used by those who re-enact an event or a character from existing information- hence such historical epics as “The Gladiator” or “Ben Hur” and many, many more have come into being. I would say though, that the use of opposites is more adapt to the creation of fantasy, rather than sticking to the fiction of reality.

• Geoff Talbot June 10, 2011 at 9:50 pm #

Perhaps… although there is so much mystery, subtext and fantasy required to get inside even a real characters head?

24. Geoff Talbot June 11, 2011 at 12:57 am #

mark j daniels just parody this blog… it’s awesome. 7 guaranteed ways to DECREASE your creativity http://ow.ly/5fiX2  Check it out peeps.

25. Melphillipsmusic June 13, 2011 at 4:11 pm #

Totally agree!! Sometimes some time out – walking, meeting friends, getting out of the usual routine can do wonders!

26. Sweetnote July 16, 2011 at 3:12 am #

Set aside what you know and emote what you feel-Creativity :c)

27. Geoff Talbot August 3, 2011 at 4:22 pm #

That is why your work is raw and genuine – Thanks for sharing William

28. Geoff Talbot November 18, 2011 at 12:26 pm #

Read these  great “Imagination Quotes”

29. Anne @confidence blog December 29, 2011 at 1:18 am #

I’ve never thought of it like this. Thanks for the new insight.

• Geoff Talbot January 2, 2012 at 12:59 pm #

Thanks for visiting Anne. Your imagination can take you places you never dreamed of! Geoff

30. Anne @ GreenEggs&Moms February 9, 2012 at 6:59 pm #

This would be interesting for me to do since I write about parenting. Will try it one of these days..

31. Frosty April 3, 2012 at 7:22 pm #

This seems cool! Thanks for sending this to me. :)

I’ll give it a shot one of these days!

32. J.Molina July 17, 2012 at 6:32 pm #

This is crazy. Let’s try it!

• Geoff Talbot July 17, 2012 at 10:41 pm #

Thanks for subscribing friend… Anyone can improve their imagination, we all just have to stretch a little

33. Penelope Silvers February 15, 2013 at 1:56 pm #

Awesome thought for the weekend…

1. Imagination Blog | Seven Sentences - November 18, 2011

[...] “A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery “I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.” Michelangelo “Imagination is the voice of daring. If there is anything Godlike about God it is that. He dared to imagine everything.” Henry Miller “Imagination rules the world.” Napoleon Bonaparte “Live out of your imagination, not your history. ” Stephen Covey “There are no rules of architecture for a castle in the clouds.” Gilbert K. Chesterton “To imagine is everything, to know is nothing at all. “ Anatole France P:S: Add your own favorite “Imagination Quotes” below or read here to increase your power of imagination. [...]