Today’s “7 Question – 7 Sentence Interview.” is with Herman Chan a real-estate personality, writer, speaker and video blogger. Check out Herman’s very entertaining blog Habitat for Hermanity or follow him on twitter here.
1. The internet is continuing to change the way that people are buying and selling houses, in your opinion what is the number challenge that most realtors are facing with this advance in technology?
The realization, that in the era of big data and syndication they are no longer the gate keepers of information, the role of the agent is not about access but about consultation; the secret is not the next new shiny tech app or gadget , it is understanding the shift in mentality.
2. You have been described as a “real estate personality” how much of your rise to prominence as a “personality” has been planned and how much of it has just happened?
LOL! You cannot plan on being a personality I just did my thing, worked hard, and consistently put myself out there on the internet, my blog, and my videos, and ultimately media started picking up on me — it didn’t hurt that I have opinions and have cheekbones to die for.
3. When you appear online or on television you don’t only speak about real estate, why is that?
I wanted to stand out from the crowd and not be one of those “realtors” who drones on and on about real estate all the time; you have to broaden your topics if you want to attract a wide audience.
4. What is different about your approach to marketing and selling property to the Millennial generation?
“This was such a fascinating answer, I broke all the rules and I actually Herman answer in 7 sentences”
Well, I am right on the cusp of that generation, so it comes pretty naturally for me. The average age of the realtor in USA is 57 yrs old and the average age of a first time buyer is 28.
As millennials have matured, they are now at the point of their lives where they are buying, marrying, starting families, so they will start to drive a large portion of real estate market. What agents must expect to know about millienials, is that they are tech savvy, live on-line and consult a what others think before making a decision (from family, to facebook friends, to strangers on yelp).
They also prefer you share the same world view as them. You are not just a paper pusher, opening lockboxes and chaffeuring them around. They want to know a bit more about you personally and stand side by side with you as a partnership.
5. If you could change one thing about real estate what would you change?
I think the bar to entry is set too low, I wish there would be more stringent education and professional standards required from realtors — too many ding dongs out there trying to sell homes.
6. Random question — who are 3 influential people throughout history that you admire more than any other?
- Madonna — I created and taught a course about her at UC Berkeley
- Hatshepsut — i was captivated by her bio in 6th grade, she crowned herself pharoah and commanded a peaceful 20 yr reign — gurl power!
- Man-Ching Kwan — my great grandfather, who brought hollywood to Hong Kong, against all odds, he chased his dreams…and made them come true (read about him).
7. If you, Herman, could be endowed with one supernatural power what would it be?
Shape shifter — because its the only way i’ll ever have 6 pack abs.
Be Inspired Daily By Seven Sentences
2014 Copyright Seven Sentences – What Matters